[Xen-devel] Re: Bug #515

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 11:45:25AM +0000, Harry Butterworth wrote:

> I updated bug #515.  If you want to suggest an approach for a solution,
> I'll have a go at putting a patch together.

Good catch, Harry!

If you look at the block and xen-hotplug-cleanup scripts, you'll see
that they claim a lock to make sure that the teardown doesn't interfere
with the check when a device comes up.  I think that a similar thing for
vif teardown would suffice.

I'm still trying to keep the parallelism in the scripts, where it's safe
to do so, because I don't want to put things in the way of device
bringup, but if it's risky to do that, then a lock to serialise every
vif operation, bringup and bringdown, ought to be safest.  I'll leave it
up to you to decide how coarse-grained that locking ought to be.

Cheers,

Ewan.