Re: [Xen-devel] 64-bit failsafe callback

On 27 Mar 2006, at 23:46, Nakajima, Jun wrote:

Frankly I don't think the failsafe callback code is expected to work. I
did not see failsafe callback triggered in normal cases or did not have
test cases for that at the initial port. When I actually saw it, it was
caused by a porting bug in x86-64 XenLinux. If you have a valid case
where the failsafe callback should handle, we should fix it.

It can be triggered, for example by an application that creates an LDT, sets %gs to refer to an entry in the LDT, then zaps that LDT entry.

I wouldn't expect it ever to be triggered in 'normal' operation though. But if it's buggy it must be fixed. Fortunately, I think Jan is right and it is fixed merely by deleting lines of code. :-)

 -- Keir