[Xen-devel] Status of auto_translated_mode

Hi, Keir,
        Per agreement on last xen summit, now xen/ia64 community is
working on
moving dom0 from current p==m model to p!=m model. First an easy way is
chosen
by Isaku that physmap is invisible to dom0 which is instead managed by
Xen. After
some investigation, we found that existing auto_translated_mode matches
our model
and then would like to know the status of this mode on xen/x86.

1. First a background question, what's the major usage model for
auto_translated_mode?

2. Is auto_translated_mode only used for domU? Seems this model can't
apply to
modified DMA interface since mfn is required to manipulate physical
devices.

3. Does anyone exercise this mode recently? Is this logic working or
broken?

        We'd like to know which areas need to be enhanced if this
translated mode can
be applied to dom0. That would save people much time since virtual
drivers together
with grant table have been tuned to accommodate this mode. Then this
translated
mode may be made more generic. :-)

Thanks,
Kevin