[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] Set the permissions correctly on the XML-RPC UDP socket, so that non-root users

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 08:36:45AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> Did you see this failure after changing the socket location to
> /var/run/xend/xml-rpc.sock?  The only way the permissions of
> /var/run/xend-xmlrpc.sock should be non-root is if /var/run has non root
> permissions.  Was that the case?

We were seeing the failure intermittently, even when the socket was in
/var/run.

According to unix(7), on Linux, "sockets honour the permissions of the
directory they are in", so it seems to me to be safest to have our own
dedicated directory, so that we can guarantee the permissions on that are
correct.

Ewan.