Re: [Xen-devel] MacOS X on Xen

> Somebody know feasiblity of MacOS X on Xen?

Ehhhhh, perhaps feasible in a number of ways but it's not terribly obvious to
me which will actually work...

> Of course, it is possible if you have VT, but I think DomU kernel
> ( a Xen kernel you dont have to use VT with) is also possible.
> It comes with a source code of the core part ( Mach micro kernel),
> so I believe that it is not impossible to run MacOS X as DomU of Xen,
> without VT.

Difficult.  Firstly, it's hard because Apple have done something to prevent
OSX from booting on anything but real Apple hardware.  I'm not clear exactly
how this scheme works, so it's not clear to me if you can circumvent it in a
legal-looking way in a VT virtual machine....  You could probably apply the
hacks used to get VMware hosting MacOS already, but that's not really the
Right Way legally or technically.

Secondly, if you wanted to actually *port* Darwin you'd have another obstacle.
standard x86 Darwin is not compatible with MacOS/x86 Darwin :-(  Apple have
broken driver compatibility here (userspace should still work) for some
reason.  Therefore I understand it's not possible to recompile your kernel
for MacOS as was possible on the PPC platform (in fact at one point there was
a plan to make OSX run on PPC Xen, but I don't know if that's been scuppered
by the switch to Intel)

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.