Re: [Xen-devel] Masquerading problems - XenU 3.0 on x86_64

Keir Fraser wrote:

On 9 Apr 2006, at 01:01, Jim Pick wrote:

I'm trying to migrate my Xen sessions installed on 32-bit Xen 2.0 server to a 64-bit Xen 3.0 server.

On the Xen 2.0 server (32-bit), I built a DomU kernel with masquerading, and I use that to do NAT for some private networks running on the same box.

When I tried to do it with Xen 3.0 (64-bit), I couldn't get it to work. I had to build a custom DomU kernel (from xen-3.0-testing.hg, 2.6.16, 2 days ago) in order to include the netfilter/iptables code. ICMP works. TCP doesn't. Non-masquerading traffic is OK. I had the same problems with the 2.6.12 kernel from Xen 3.0.1.

I captured some of the traffic, and ethereal is showing that the masqueraded traffic being output has bad TCP checksums.

I'm going to have to do some debugging to try to figure out what's going wrong.

Has anybody else encountered this? Also, if it's already been fixed somewhere, I'd love to know. Any Netfilter debugging tips would also be appreciated.

Turn off tx checksum offload in your domU's using ethtool. We had fixed some forms of NAT with our checksum offload, but maybe not for your type of setup.

That fixed it.  Thanks!

Cheers,

 - Jim