Re: [Xen-devel] Xen cpufreq support status: how to notify hypervisor of frequency change?

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 04:25 am, Keir Fraser wrote:

> All this stuff should be done by emulating the MSR writes in
> emulate_privileged_op() in arch/x86/traps.c. This will avoid any
> modification of Linux at all. Currently there's only simple filtering
> of MSR write attempts, but picking up on cpu-freq MSR accesses on e.g.,
> AMD systems and also resync'ing the local clock would not be difficult.

I'll give this a try - it should be much cleaner than my current method and
may avoid some race issues (see below).

We may need to duplicate some work done by the dom0 kernel and read out the
frequency/voltage tables, since the MSR write on AMD chips (and probably
Intel) does not specify an actual "XXX MHz" number - it's just an index into
the FID/VID table. I'll investigate this, but I need someone with an Intel
chip to do the same, since I have no way of testing those MSRs.

I'm still getting some issues with the timer not properly re-syncing even
though the cpufreq driver makes the new setcpufreq hypercall, which Xen
properly receives.

Right now it just sets cpu_khz and calls local_time_calibration() on the
target CPU(s). Is there something else we need to do, like calling the
equivalent of early_time_init() or init_xen_time() all over again?

The problem is much less severe now but it still sometimes happens.

- Matt