[Xen-devel] Running Vyatta on Xen

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Martin Heroux" <martinheroux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:37:25 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:37:44 -0700

Hello,
  I am working on a project where I would like to run Vyatta with Xen
(v 3.0.1 from redhat).

I have had only mitigated sucess so far. Actually the real Vyatta
kernel doesn't boot inside of Xen. I am planning to get the source and
apply the Xen patch to it so then I could boot right off this new
Vyatta kernel/initrd being Xen compliant.

Here are the steps I took after I downloaded the CD from Vyatta web site.
1-  Boot from CD
2- install the system on disk (/dev/hda3)
3- put the Xen kernel in /dev/hda3/boot (Vyatta /boot directory)
4- create an image file of /dev/hda3 with dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/xxxx/vyatta.img
5- create the Xen VM machine and boot from /xxxx/vyatta.img

The first problem I get is that Xen mount / read only (is it a file
system specs ?)
And I realize I don't use the initrd.img from Vyatta, so I don't have
all /initrd
and these root_pivot features they have in it ...

Do you have any pointers or recommendation for me or maybe I am in
wrong mailing list ?

Regards
Martin