[Xen-devel] [OT] Mercurial user survey

Please pardon the off-topic message, but I am running a survey of Mercurial users, and I am very interested in getting feedback from the Xen development community.

The purpose of this survey is to help Mercurial developers gain a better idea of what the Mercurial user community is really doing, and what aspects of Mercurial people would most like to see improved.

This idea comes from the very successful user surveys that the Valgrind project has run: http://www.valgrind.org/gallery/surveys.html

Please participate! If you know Mercurial users who do not subscribe to this mailing list, please forward the survey to them and ask them to take part. The more people that respond, the more useful the survey will be.

Please send your responses directly to me, and do not CC the mailing list.

Regarding privacy: I will not share your name or contact information with anyone else unless you explicitly allow me to, but I may quote you anonymously (unless you would prefer me not to).

On April 24, I will post two reports to the Mercurial wiki; if I get much feedback from the Xen community and people are interested in the results, I'll post the URLs here. A short-form report will give an overview of responses, and a long-form report will give much more detailed information.

Thanks again for taking part!

---->8 cut here 8<----

About you

    1. What country are you in?  What is your preferred language?

Getting started with Mercurial

    1. How did you hear about Mercurial?
    2. Did you find Mercurial easy to learn?  What helped you most in
       learning to use it?

How you use Mercurial

    1. Do you use Mercurial for work, unpaid projects, or both?
    2. How do you obtain Mercurial?  Source tarball, binary package, or
       pull the main or crew repository?
    3. What platforms (hardware, OS, version) do you use Mercurial on?
    4. How many people do you collaborate with using Mercurial?
    5. How big are the repositories that you work on? (e.g. how many
       files, how much disk space)
    6. How many different projects do you manage using Mercurial?
    7. Which extensions/plugins do you use?

What you think of Mercurial

    1. Overall, how happy are you with Mercurial?
    2. How does Mercurial compare to other SCM tools you have used?
    3. What do you like about using Mercurial?
    4. What would you most like to see improved about Mercurial?
       (features, bugs, plugins, documentation, ...)
    5. If you want to see Mercurial more widely used, what do you
       think we could do to make this happen?

Documentation

    1. Do you use the Mercurial wiki?   If yes, do you find it useful?
    2. Do you find Mercurial's online help useful?
    3. What is your favourite user documentation for any software
       projects or products you have used?

Getting help, staying in touch

    1. Have you tried to get Mercurial help from other people?
          * If yes, did you get these problems resolved quickly and to
            your liking?
    2. Have you used the bug database?
          * If yes, did you find it useful, easy to use?
    3. Do you subscribe to the mailing list?
          * If yes, do you find it useful, and traffic levels OK?
    4. Do you use the IRC channel (#mercurial on irc.freenode.net)?
          * If no, did you know that all of the core developers use
            IRC, and that there's almost 24-hour help available?

Open forum

    1. What other comments or suggestions do you have that are not
       covered by the questions above?