[Xen-devel] cpufreq/powernow-k8 on dual-core opterons

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Thom Linton" <thom.linton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:35:07 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:35:31 -0700

I've been fiddling with cpufreq and the powernow-k8 driver to allow for fid/vid scaling in testing for a while, and had developed rdmsr(...) wrmsr(...) wrappers much like those that have been mentioned before on the list.

To get the sysfs entries correct ( e.g. given die0 contains {core0,core1} cpu1 links to cpu0, affected_cpus fields, etc.), I've had to hack the powernow driver to make a call during init to setup cpu_core_map. I've been pulling my hair out trying to discover where exactly it is init'd in the vanilla kernel that isn't executed on xen bootup. With a properly setup (via my hack) cpu_core_map, behaviour is correct, affected_cpus is filled appropriately, and cpufreq will scale the cores together.

I'd like to be able to patch for the general case - in the absense of my hack, though cpu_core_map still exists (the symbols being exported in smpboot.c, it is only marked for it's own core (i.e., Xen believes that a single die, dual core, opteron represents two distinct cpus). Proper initialization of cpu_core_map seems to depend on phys_proc_id and cpu_core_id which also appear to not be filled properly.

I'm working with arch i386 and I reason that init_amd (which will setup these maps) isn't being called; I've double checked to make sure that X86_HT was defined - any thoughts or pointers?

- Thom Linton