RE: [Xen-devel] Re: Vertualization of Unmodified Operating Systems

> > Xen and OpenBSD running under Xen are rapidly rising to the
> top of my
> > list of things to work with as general availability of AM2-socket
> > motherboards and revision F AMD64 chips approaches. Xen and
> hardware
> > virtualization have been for a while now at the very top of
> the list of topics I follow in the news.
>
> OpenBSD 3.9 works quite fine (installed using the native
> installer in the virtualized environment!) as an unmodified
> guest on my Intel VT box, with following caveats:
>
> *) pcn(4) - aka AMD Pcnet does not seem to work well with the
> emulated one (send works - receive does not)
>
> *) ne(4) does work but is complaining about corrupted nic
> memory under heavy traffic (does not seem to affect it much
> other than logging th errors)

Thanks for the success report. We haven't been testing OpenBSD so its
useful to hear it works OK.

I'd be interested to hear whether pcnet32 works under the latest version
of qemu, in which case it should be easy to fix on xen/vt.

Also, are you using a 32, 32p, or 64 bit hypervisor? Have you tried
other combinations? (I'm guessing you're using a 32b guest, but do you
have pae enabled?)
Have you tried other combinations? Are there any stress tests you can
run to give it a good workout?

Thanks,
Ian