RE: [Xen-devel] possible to give/switch direct graphics hw access to doms?

  • To: "Muli Ben-Yehuda" <muli@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 13:43:14 +0200
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jean Blignaut <jean@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 04 May 2006 04:43:42 -0700

The GART allows TRANSLATION of DMA-accesses from PCI-space to physical
RAM, just like a "proper" IOMMU. I'm sure there are some limitations,
and it may not actually work for graphics cards that are able to DMA
from just about anywhere in the guest memory space - and the mapping
would need to be set up by the hypervisor before-hand, so we can't just
map it on a fault in some way or another.

I know that we're working on a "proper" IOMMU that will be in some
future generation of AMD processors - I don't know which generation
these will be in, but it's NOT the ones coming shortly, that's for
sure...

--
Mats