[Xen-devel] xm mem-set issues

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh" <aravindh.puthiyaparambil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:41:36 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:42:21 -0700

I am looking at patching the xm mem-set problem described in:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-05/msg00122.html

While doing this I came across a few other issues.

1. "xm mem-set <DomID> 32M" causes DomU / Dom0 to freeze irrespective of
initial memory size. There is no output on the serial console when this happens
so I am not sure where exactly the DomU is crashing. I know doing this is harsh
but I think a check is required that will prevent users from shooting
themselves in the foot.

2. I am able to do "xm mem-set <DomID> 8G" even if the total system memory is
only 4GB. "xm list" reflects the 8GB value. Isn't this also a bug?

It looks like there needs to be a few sanity checks for mem-set. I am wondering
what the best place to do this is. Should it be in Xend or the balloon driver?

Thanks,
Aravindh Puthiyaparambil
Xen Development Team
Unisys Tredyffrin, PA