Re: [Xen-devel] X86_emulate to be moved into qemu...

  • To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • From: "Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:45:28 -0400
  • Cc: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:45:49 -0700

On 5/17/06, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Ehm, yes, but this is a much smaller emulator, as it's only emulating
instructions that are caught by page faults - so only instructions that
are doing memory accesses.

I think you could use the full x86-emulator that is part of the QEMU
project to achive what you're after, but the x86_emualte_memop() that
we're talking about here would not be even close to sufficient for
running the BIOS on a non-x86 processor.

It wasn't clear from the earlier mail that this was only a partial
emulator. We are already using the emulator from the Linux Bios
project so we'll stick with that. It would nice to reduce the number
of emulator code bases being used.

--
Mats

--