RE: [Xen-devel] xenoprof problem

  • To: "Xin Zhao" <zhaoxin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen devel list" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:24:44 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:25:23 -0700

Xin,

XenOprofile does not support single domain profiling yet,
but only system wide profiling. That means that profiling
has to be controled by dom0. You will not be able to run
Oprofile from a domU without running oprofile in dom0.
You can find a more detailed description in:
http://xenoprof.sourceforge.net/xenoprof_2.0.txt

Below is a typical sequence of commands to run Oprofile in
multiple domains:

A) Sequence of commands to start profiling:
     1) On the initiator domain (dom0)
         > opcontrol --reset
           (clear out any previous data of current session)
         > opcontrol --start-daemon
                     [--active-domains=<active_list>]
                     [--passive-domains=<passive_list>]
                     <events> <dom0 kernel and xen images specs> ...
           (start OProfile daemon and specify the set of active and
           passive domains in the session)

     2) On each active domain (domU to be profiled)
         > opcontrol --reset
         > opcontrol --start <events> <domU kernel and xen images specs>
         (indicates domain is ready to process performance events)
     3) On initiator
         > opcontrol --start
         (Multi-domain profiling session starts)
         (This is only successful if all active domains are ready)

 B) Sequence of commands to stop profiling
     -  On initiator domain:
         > opcontrol --stop

Renato