[XenPPC] Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] [3/3] dom0_ops explicitly sized types

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 15:28 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 16:32 +0300, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> > > I assume you're referring specifically to the privcmd structure change,
> > > which is the only Linux-specific part of the patch. The privcmd
> > > structure is shared between userspace and the kernel. Since "u64" is a
> > > kernel type, we need to use "uint64_t", which has meaning in
> > > userspace.
> >
> > Oh well, I didn't realize it was shared with userspace... sorry for
> > the false alarm.
>
> I think Linus' opinion[0] is that kernel headers which are shared with
> userspace cannot assume that stdint.h has been included so you need to
> use __u64 and friends.
>
> Ian.
>
> [0] http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0412.1/1456.html.
> There's been plenty of other traffic in lkml about it too.

There certainly has been plenty of traffic, but I have seen no clear
statements (other than "THIS IS BAD" with little explanation). In fact
there was just a thread about it this month
(http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0605.0/0146.html), and I
still don't understand the objections.

If you use __u64, you'd need to include some header defining what __u64
is, so you're requiring another header anyways. You might as well use
the standard stdint.h rather than inventing your own.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center