RE: [Xen-devel] New CPU scheduler w/ SMP load balancer

Hi Emmanuel,
   I was looking into doing some load balancing (there was none earlier)
to the domain/vcpu scheduling inside the Xen. And I am glad to see your
patch is targeting exactly that.
   I believe the credit scheduler also has sizeable impact on the HVM
domain performance. Do you have any performance data for the HVM guests
with your scheduler?

Thanks & Regards,
Nitin
-----------
Open Source Technology Center, Intel Corp

on
>UP?
>
>It is not simple to define a set of performance benchmarks for
>a VCPU scheduler. On an SMP host, the credit scheduler is a lot
>better at enforcing fairness across multiple guest, some SMP
>and some UP. Certainly, the VCPU scheduler has an effect on I/O
>benchmarks because of the interaction between domUs and dom0.
>
>I found that on a uni-processor, running ttcp in a domU yielded
>almost twice the network bandwidth with the credit scheduler
>compared to with SEDF. This probably has less to do with scheduling
>algorithms than with implementation problems though.
>
>For SMP guests, the credit scheduler enforces that all VCPUs
>make equal progress. This solves a number of serious performance
>problems when you are time slicing some of your physical CPUs
>between multiple SMP guests.
>
>In terms of consolidating multiple guests on one SMP host, we
>are now playing in a different ballpark with the credit scheduler:
>When a CPU goes idle, it immediately picks up a runnable VCPU
>waiting on the runqueue on another CPU. With SEDF and BVT, you
>have to manually place all the VCPUs in the system and there are
>no dynamic adjustements when VCPUs go to sleep waiting for I/O.
>The credit scheduler is work conserving in that it will make use
>of any CPU cycles when there is runnable work. It does this as
>soon as a CPU runs out of work. This is in contrast with other
>load balancing algorithms that work in the background and move
>things around on some type of clock tick. Being work conserving
>on SMP hosts is a huge improvement over the previous scheduler
>implementations.
>
>In terms of scaling, I have taken profiles on an 8-way system
>and found lock contention to be reasonable. We'll need to do
>some performance work and perhaps pad some cachelines or change
>a few things to run on very large NUMA type systems but by design,
>the credit scheduler is designed to scale to very large systems.
>
>The common code path (do_schedule) is designed to be extremely
>fast on both UP and MP systems. Using the scientific method of
>code inspection :-), these code paths are a lot shorter and faster
>than the SEDF ones. The accounting work in the credit scheduler is
>done every 30 milliseconds outside the common path and its
>complexity is linear with the number of running VCPUs in the
>system. Making accounting work overhead independant of the
>number of scheduling operations is good on I/O workloads where
>lots of context switches occur.
>
>> Better yet, if you have a paper you could share, that would be even
>> better :-)  If you cannot share because of conference restrictions,
it
>> would be nice if you could a condensed version (similar to what the
L4ka