Re: [Xen-devel] Why do we use /usr/lib/python to install python libraries?

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 04:31:56PM +0100, John Levon wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 08:32:39AM +0100, Ewan Mellor wrote:
>
> > c) make sure that we actually do install into /usr/lib64 on appropriate
> >    systems.  This is a current bug, though I've no idea when it got
> >    introduced.  We need to install into /usr/lib64 because xc.so and xs.so
> > are
> >    compiled native code.
>
> Could you clarify this? What happens on 64-bit Linux installations right
> now?
>
> Since the 64-bit cleanness isn't quite there yet, we need to install
> both a 64-bit and 32-bit on Solaris. Unfortunately Python doesn't seem
> to have much support for running like this (in particular, it'll just
> give up if it finds an extension .so of the wrong elf class rather than
> looking in a 64-bit path or whatever).

My belief was that, because we have native code, on those platforms that
normally use /usr/lib64, we ought to be putting our stuff in /usr/lib64.
Does anyone know whether this is the case?

Currently, all the Python stuff goes into /usr/lib/python, even on platforms
with a /usr/lib64 directory.  I was assuming that that was a bug, but I don't
know for sure.

Ewan.