Re: [Xen-devel] HVM - BIOS serial console redirection?

Nate Carlson <natecars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  On Tue, 30 May 2006, Andrew D. Ball wrote:
> > Have you tried
> >
> > serial = 'pty'
> >
> > in the domU's configuration?  This makes the domU's virtual serial port
> > look like the console of a paravirtualized domU, so you can use 'xm
> > console' and 'xm create -c' on it.
>
>  Yes - it doesn't display the "virtual BIOS" stuff on the serial port,
>  though.
>
> > I'm not sure what you mean by the BIOS contents ...
>
>  When you boot a HVM-based domU in SDL or VNC mode, it starts up with the
>  screen that says:
>
>  "Plex86/Bochs VGABios current-cvs 22 May 2006
>  This VGA/VBE Bios is released under the GNU LGPG
>
> <...>"
>
>  If this could be redirected over the serial line, I believe it would be
>  what W2K3 tries to detect..

We've been trying the same thing - to get the Win2003 serial
management to work under Xen.

If the BIOS doesn't support console redirection then you can turn the
SAC/EMS on with bootcfg.exe.  We've done that but it still doesn't
work.

We've been using serial='pty' all along.

However looking at the serial port configuration in the hardware
manager I can see that the serial port doesn't seem to be working (the
usual windows exclamation mark).

It claims a conflict in the IO range from 0x3F8 to 0x3FE with the
"Standard PC" device which seems to be a place holder for the HAL.

I guess if we could fix that out it would work, but we haven't figured
it out yet...

I could manually set the port to the COM2 IO/IRQ range which appear to
be free.

--
Nick Craig-Wood <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick