Re: [Xen-devel] [rfc] [patch] more 'long' in the hypervisor interface

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 14:36 -0700, Chris Wright wrote:
> * Hollis Blanchard (hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 14:09 -0700, Chris Wright wrote:
> > > What is legacy about it, this looks quite odd, and I don't think will
> > > build on i386.
> >
> > Hopefully my other reply cleared things up for you...
>
> Well, the patch by itself doesn't do anything, so are you doing smth
> special on ppc?

We discussed a bit on IRC (developers are welcome to join OFTC #xen),
but to recap for the list...

PPC will have
        typedef uint64_t xen_ulong_t;
That means that the fields in memory.h will keep the same
size/alignment, whether compiled 32- or 64-bit. This is the way the
interface should have been designed in the first place, but we're locked
into the current ABI on x86. However, since PPC has no current users, we
can define the ABI correctly from the start.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center