[Xen-tools] Dprobe and Systemtap for Xen Tracing and Debugging.

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-tools@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "rickey berkeley" <rickey.berkeley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:00:10 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 06:00:20 -0700

Hi folks

In linux kernel development, there is a debug tool called dprobe ,which can be used to dynamic insert the probes into the function of kernel source code and find what's goning on.There is also a tool called systemtap which is based on dprobe and kernel debug info.
Using the kprobes infrastructure, SystemTap is being developed to dynamically instrument the kernel and user applications.
In this way,we can diagnose complex problems without multiple rebuilds and reboots.

Can xen use this kind of tools for xen tracing and debugging ? As we know ,the capability of performace tracing tools (xenoprof)for xen is limited comparing with dprobe and systemtap.Dose anyone have any good idea about this ?

My idea is we cab make use of dprobe and systemtap to build a more powerful and covenient tool for xen performance tracing and debugging.

----
Regards
Ding Rui(Rickey)