[Xen-devel] RE: Xen talk to TPM

  • To: <passrete@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fischer, Anna" <anna.fischer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:42:27 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 07:43:07 -0700

Hi Brian,

As Stefan already explained there's no TPM device driver in the
hypervisor because it is designed to be as thin as possible for various
(security) reasons. That's why there's no way right now for the
hypervisor itself to talk to a TPM. Right now the TPM driver resides in
Dom0, but there're approaches to move it to another (lightweight,
secure) domain, so that even Dom0 just has a vTPM. However, this is not
implemented yet. I don't see the point of placing a TPM driver into the
hypervisor. What exactly do you want to achieve with that?

Anna