[Xen-devel] more than one console

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Sven Köhler <skoehler@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:09:35 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:24:54 -0700

Hi,

i have been using UML (UserModeLinux) for quite some time. When i start
an UML-kernel, i can specify a driver for all the consoles. A "pts"
driver, a "null" driver etc.

I think, that this a thing, where Xen can learn from UML.

I would expect, that Xen allows domU to open as many consoles as it
wants (well, usually 6) and attach them to some host-device (well, pty,
pts or whatever - or even screen-sessions)

Actually, UML also distinguished between con0 and con1, con2, etc.
I think, the kernel writes all messages to con0, while the login-prompts
are opened on con1, con2, ... (con0, con1, etc. should correspond to
tty0, tty1, ...)

My proposed setup would be: log con0/tty0 to a logfile (there is no
login-prompt, so no need for input) and attach con1/tty1, con2/tty2, ...
to screen sessions or pty/pts-devices.

Long story short: Are there some plans, to "improve" xen's
console-handling within domU kernels?