Re: [Xen-devel] Xen not very green?

I think power management is a little less developed in Xen than in Linux so
it's not going to be able to utilise the low power states in your hardware
quite as well for the moment.

It's something that's up for improvement - particularly as folks like to run
Xen on laptops some times.

Worth noting though, that if you are aggregating lots of servers onto one Xen
box instead of on multiple physical boxes you are quite possibly going to
save power over all, in which case Xen would be greener.

HTH,
Mark

On Monday 30 October 2006 14:34, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I was planning on diving into Xen with the release of Fedora
> core 6 and the improved Xen support it has, but one thing
> surprised me: My dual core amd64 system runs more than
> five degrees hotter when idle than the non-Xen kernel
> runs on the same box.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Is the hypervisor missing interfaces to let dom0
> do the energy-star magic for it?
>
> Is anyone even worried about this?
>
> Or is it all just a bug with Fedora's kernel?
>
> Just curious at this point, but it does seem like
> it might be an important issue.

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!