Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Getting rid of xenbus_suspend(): tpmfront driver impacted?

Keir Fraser wrote:
> I suppose we could keep suspend() and also introduce a
suspend_cancelled()
> hook...
>
> -- Keir

This would certainly make our life easier.

For our work on accelerated network drivers we're currently using
suspend() to give the guest a chance to stop using any hardware
resources that have been mapped up into it.  Without suspend(), you
could be in the situation where the guest was in the middle of accessing
a hardware resource when it is migrated to another server where it
clearly won't be able to access that hardware resource.  With suspend()
and resume() we can stop it using the hardware resources it has, then
renegotiate equivalents on the the server if they are available, before
carrying on as before.  Working around this would be tricky.

Kieran