RE: [Xen-devel] Direct I/O to domU seeing a 30% performance hit

> Both dom0 and the domU are SLES 10, so I don't know why the "idle"
> performance of the two should be different. The obvious asymmetry is
the
> disk. Since the disk isn't direct, any disk I/O by the domU would
> certainly impact dom0, but I don't think there should be much, if any.
> did run a dom0 test with the domU started, but idle and there was no
> real change to dom0's numbers.
>
> What's the best way to gather information about what is going on with
> the domains without perturbing them? (Or, at least, perturbing
everyone
> equally.)
>
> As to the test, I am running netperf 2.4.1 on an outside machine to
the
> dom0 and the domU. (So the doms are running the netserver portion.) I
> was originally running it in the doms to the outside machine, but when
> the bad numbers showed up I moved it to the outside machine because I
> wondered if the bad numbers were due to something happening to the
> system time in domU. The numbers is the "outside" test to domU look
worse.

It might be worth checking that there's no interrupt sharing happening.
While running the test against the domU, see how much CPU dom0 burns in
the same period using 'xm vcpu-list'.

To keep things simple, have dom0 and domU as uniprocessor guests.

Ian