Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch] Fix for x86_64 boot failures due to bad segment setup for protected mode.

Keir Fraser wrote:
On 9/11/06 12:56, "Steven Rostedt" <srostedt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The old approach would just update all the selectors if they fit inside
the GDT table, whether or not they were changed or loaded. So when Linux
had a bad (extremely large) GDT limit, we loaded all the selectors into
the shadow selector, even though they were bogus.

A smaller patch might have been to implement those VMENTER sanity checks
inside load_seg(). I'm sure they're quite simple. However, this new approach
is arguably saner than the old, and it's worked on a few images I've tested
it with, so I checked it in and we'll see how it holds up under wider
testing.

I believed Stephen looked at the sanity check approach, and determined that the code to simulate the sanity checks would be quite complex and error prone. But Stephen can correct me if I'm wrong.

-- Steve