RE: [Xen-devel] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Schedule for Xen 3.0.4

> > The xen-unstable tree has seen significant progress since 3.0.3 was
> forked,
> > particularly in HVM cleanup and bug fixing. SMP and ACPI HVM guests
now
> work
> > reliably, as does the Windows Vista installer. Many of these
improvements
> > are the result of large patches and interface cleanups that are
> unsuitable
> > for backporting to 3.0.3. Since we'd like to make these improvements
> > available to Xen users as soon as possible, now seems a good time to
call
> > feature freeze in preparation for 3.0.4.
>
> What about the possibility of reving the kernel to something more
modern?
> For instance, the nforce5 drivers for Linux didn't make it until
2.6.17,
> and didn't get truly stable until 2.6.18.
>
> I think it would be advantageous if xen-unstable was using a kernel
closer
> to those being shipped in modern distros, so that xen-unstable testing
was
> more applicable to current distros, and visa versa.

We really need to get away from having a linux tree in xen-unstable
anyhow. It would be cool if by the time that 3.0.4 goes out we have the
out-of-tree linux 2.6.18/19 level up to the same spec as our 2.6.16. We
can update the top-level Makefiles to make it very easy to build
out-of-tree kernels. We can also make 2.6.18 RPMs and tar balls
available for download. None of this actually has to be directly coupled
to the 3.0.4 release.

Ian