Cc: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 9:22 AM
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Can not find the cdrom device in /dev/ after booted into xen(3.0.3)

-----Original Message-----
From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Liang Yang
Sent: 01 December 2006 16:12
To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Can not find the cdrom device in /dev/
after booted into xen(3.0.3)

Hello,

I just did a fresh installation of Xen 3.0.3. However, I can
not find my
cd-rom device under /dev/ after I booted into Xen. If I
booted into Linux
native (RHELAS 4.4), CD-ROM device is there and listed as
/dev/cdrom. I know
Xen changed the CD-ROM access mode from HVM domain. But for
Xen domain0, it
should still be listed as /dev/cdrom, right?

/dev/cdrom is a "link" to the actual /dev/[sh]d[abcd] device that is the
CDROM drive. As far as I understand, it's normally created by the
distributions initrd. You may be able to disassemble your distributions
initrd and find the line that creates this link - but the fact is that
different distributions do this slightly differently.

Much easier to just use /dev/[sh]d[abcd] for your cdrom.

--
Mats

I think the driver for CD-ROM must be already loaded and it
is hided by Xen
somehow. I checked a Linux Server beta version which has
integrated Xen on
the same platform, I can find the cdrom device in /dev/. I
remember Xen
3.0.2 does not have this problem either.

Could anyone share some solutions?

Thanks,

Liang