Re: [Xen-devel] Re: running multiple version of Xen on a single machine

  • To: "Anthony Liguori" <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "George Dunlap " <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 15:11:58 -0500
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 12:11:56 -0800
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=Xvr3dyeAD+WrNeoH24527qIFg948o+sDAWZ0fI07NpV49q1BViQPw+t3fcl8PAh4+6d9S56qBPcKGLGH65wEeaFItBFWW9S6xcV/tiv6qx11adOei+7poaqLliGCN8hVWWyc5n+NI5Z/bWB0jCRxO6W2KmVPCu0md/330d/wQeM=

Hmm... would running your tests (with xend & friends) inside a chroot
be sufficient?  I realize it's a bit of a pain to set one up, but once
set up, you should be able to switch from one set of tools to another
pretty quickly.

-George

On 12/6/06, Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jan Beulich wrote:
> With a limited number of physical machines and many distro versions to support
> I would find it really handy if there was a way to run multiple Xen versions
in
> parallel (one at a time obviously) on any such system. This implies that I
don't
> want to install Xen tools (as they would otherwise overwrite the distro's
original
> package), which in turn implies that there must not be absolute path names in
> any of the tools/scripts unless there is a way to override these.
>
> It would in my opinion be easiest if each affected tool determined where it
was
> run from,

Do you mean by examining CWD and argv[0]?

My fear would be that that would break a lot of things that use special
tools to launch daemons.

I suspect we need to move to a PREFIX model.  Not sure the best way to
propagate something like that throughout Xen.

It's further complicated by the fact that Xend depends on the implicit
prefix in a number of places (to launch xenconsole,
xc_linux_{save,restore}, qemu-dm, etc.).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

  subtract its install location and use the remaining path as the