Re: [Xen-devel] How to get the persistent identifier of a domain?

Here is my experimental setting. I start a domu, run "xm list --long", the uuid shown to me was (uuid 6cc8ab86-4ad4-7820-3326-53d666ff96aa). Then, I shut down this domu, and start the same domu again. I got a different uuid: (uuid 0c9ee2d6-4a9f-c0bf-989f-148bec284e15). You can see these two uuids are different.

I am using the latest xen-unstable.

Do you mean that you've done xm create <file>, xm shutdown <domain>, and
then xm create <file> again?  You are right, this will in effect create
two separate VMs, with the same configuration, but different identities
(and different UUIDs).

IIRC if you're using config files instead of the persistent VM support you can also ensure a stable UUID by specifying it in the VM config file?

Cheers,
Mark

If you use the new support for persistent VMs, then you should find
that the VM retains its identity.  xm new <file>, xm start <domain>,
xm shutdown <domain>, xm start <domain> should have the same effect as
the commands above, but you will see that the VM retains its UUID.

HTH,

Ewan.