Re: [Xen-users] RE: [Xen-devel] Xen-3.0.3 migration problems

  • To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Adam Seering <aseering@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:34:24 -0500
  • Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>, Nikhil Bhatia <bhatia@xxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 08:34:26 -0800

On Dec 29, 2006, at 5:05 AM, Keir Fraser wrote:

On 28/12/06 5:15 pm, "Adam Seering" <aseering@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm having this same problem.  The relocation service is enabled on
both machines; neither has a firewall (sure, I care about
security...), and there is no firewall between them.

For a live migration, do the dom0 kernels and the source/target PC's
hardware have to be the same? I'm migrating from a stock Debian Etch-
based Xen AMD64 system on a Pentium D 8xx (no HVM) to a Fedora Core 6
Xen AMD64 system on a Pentium D 9xx, with HVM support enabled.

Migrating to a newer (more capable) processor should work. It's when
features silently disappear that guests can get upset. The dom0 kernel does not matter but the version of the Xen toolstack might -- did you install Xen
and tools yourself on both boxes from a consistent version?

I did not, actually; I'm using the stock versions from the FC6 / Debian Etch repo's. I could try that.

One of these machines just lost a hard disk; I'm not eager to try anything interesting until I can replace it, so I'll play around with this when the new drive comes in.

A recent e-mail mentioned that migration machines have to be on the same L2 subnet (I missed that line in the Xen manual). These machines aren't; they're in different buildings, with IP routing between them (though the connection speed and latency are very good). I'll try putting the machines on the same subnet.

/var/log/xen/xend.log and /var/log/xen/xend-debug.log probably have
interesting info if things are going wrong (the logs may be big: if so it's
the tail that's interesting).

OK; I'll take a look at those.

Thanks,
Adam