Re: [Xen-devel] pxe support

On Thursday 18 January 2007 10:01, Tim Deegan wrote:
> At 13:15 -0600 on 17 Jan (1169039714), Anthony Liguori wrote:
> > Sven Oehme wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >i saw a bunch of patches from Anthony adding pxe support to qemu. will
> > >that end in xen at some point , or is it already in ?
> > >i searched in the archives and also the source but couldn't find
> > >anything ..
> >
> > It should be there.  The QEMU patches were inspired by Tim's Xen
> > patches.  I've seen a few commits that have disabled/enabled Option ROM
> >
> > Should PXE booting work ATM Tim?
>
> Works for me in -unstable.   Give the guest a vif, and choose boot=n.

There's no explicit PXE support needed in Xen. All what you need is a
bootmanager, which passes a multiboot header to Xen. That's all.

PXE bootmanagers which support multiboot are PXELinux and PXEGrub
(I'm aware of these two. I don't know if there are more.).
Both work fine for me. I use them regularly for development/testing.

It makes more fun to build a kernel and boot it from network. It saves
me a double reboot.

Christoph