Re: [Xen-devel] Problem with VLANs on tg3 NICs

If its broadcasting all VLAN-tagged traffic to all ports that's
disastrous for performance. You'd be much better off setting up a
separate bridge for each VLAN. Alternatively, it might be worth looking
at The Linux Switching Appliance (LISA) project -- their bridge supports
VLAN trunks.
I'd have to do a tcpdump to be sure but empirically I haven't noticed any performance problems (and these are nfs booted images).

All I'm expecting of the bridge code is that it ignore the tag and deliver the packet by mac address as normal. Because all this works with other than the tg3 driver I'm confident the bridge code is doing what I expect. The problem is not with the bridge, the problem is with the tg3 driver. I believe that any network utility on top of the tg3 driver would have the same problem, as the tg3 driver is stripping the vlan tags before it passes them on.

Evan