Re: [Xen-devel] Xend loads slowly

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 02:00:49PM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > Xend takes around 2 minutes to load, I've compiled the unstable
> > version and tested it on two different computers... any idea why it
> > takes so much time?
>

> Before starting xend, try running the /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge
> script on its own.
>
> I suspect this is where all the time goes. I've seen this happen with
> certain network cards, but not for a long time. What version are you
> using?

Is there any work scheduled on the Xen roadmap yet to remove the need to
use netloop driver in Dom0 ? It would be very desirable to eliminate the
complicated peth0/eth0/vif0 interface renaming/duplication for Dom0 so that
the regular OS distro provided networking scripts 'just work' with Xen. So
if people wanted a bridged setup they can simply create their regular
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 (or equivalant) - so XenD would
only need to worry about the vif-* scripts, and we can kill off network-*
scripts.

Having Xen init scripts mess around with networking is causing all sorts
of other pain like breaking bonding, not working with netconsole, breaking
NFS root or complicating other network based storage booting like AoE/iSCSI.
This is unfortunately giving Xen a bad reputation as being very hard to
manage wrt to networking, which would be nice to address.

Regards,
Dan.