[Xen-devel] Looking for advice/help on debugging a module in a live kernel

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: cm ko <cm83646@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 16:43:00 -0800 (PST)
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 16:42:42 -0800

Hello all,
I am new to Xen and would appreciate any help I can get.  I am working on a block device driver and I would like to be able to symbolically debug the module. (via break points, etc.)

I am a little bit confused on a couple of things and hoping someone can help me out.

1) It appears that I have two choices - either paravirtualized or fully virtualized.  Do anyone have suggestions on how to determine which way to go?  At the moment, I am thinking using full virtualization and load my driver into the kernel running on the guest machine.  Am I off on this?

2) if I choose fully virtualized option, is it possible to attach debbuger on the live kernel running on the guest machine?  Does it mean that hvmloader has to be recompiled with -g option?

3) if I choose paravirtulaized kernel, which kernel should I install my module?  Kernel for Dom0 or DomU?
4) Where can I find the media for operating system for paravirtualized virtual system?

Thanks in advance for you help,

CM

It's here! Your new message!