RE: [Xen-devel] Reducing impact of save/restore/dump on Dom0

  • To: "John Levon" <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Graham, Simon" <Simon.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 12:25:53 -0500
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 09:25:34 -0800

Thanks for the comments:

> +#ifndef O_DIRECT
> +#define O_DIRECT 040000
> +#endif
>
> O_DIRECT doesn't exist on Solaris. The closest equivalent is
> directio(fd, DIRECTIO_ON). Either way you shouldn't be defining it
> yourself?

Well, I would agree with you except that it ends up not being defined
when I build on RHEL4/U2! It seems to me that O_DIRECT is something that
folks really don't want me to be able to use!

Anyone know of a generic mechanism that works everywhere for enabling
this? If not, I guess I'll have to add #ifdef's... yuck! What I can do
is fix the problem on Linux and make it behave the same old way on
everything else (that I can't build/test for)... other people can then
add platform specific implementations as needed...

> And you should expect this to be able to fail, on Solaris at least.
>
> +    dump_mem_start = mmap(0, PAGE_SIZE*DUMP_INCREMENT,
> +                          PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,
> +                          MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, 0, 0);
>
> Please use the more portable MAP_ANON.

Will do.

Simon