[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 14/21] Xen-paravirt: Add XEN config options and disableunsupported config options.

On 16/2/07 10:54, "Andrew Morton" <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, you're screwed.  I agree that the process freezer is the way out of that
> one.
>
> Ingo said that he's clocked the freezer at a few milliseconds.  But if it's
> any higher than that it'll need to get sped up once we convert cpu hotplug
> to use it.

A few milliseconds is acceptable. Presumably that is under some stress
workload? What we'd really like is to be able to gang-hotplug CPUs to
amortise the freezer overhead.

This initial patchset does not include save/restore support anyway, so in
fact it would be consistent to have CONFIG_PREEMPT configurable. I'm sure
that we are going to have some nasty bugs to fix up as a result, but we
can't fix them until we find them! Then we can convert our save/restore code
to use the freezer before submitting it for inclusion.

 -- Keir