RE: [Xen-devel] Vif rate limiting

  • To: "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Padala, Pradeep" <pradeep.padala@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 17:43:37 -0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 09:42:51 -0800

> > This is what I get
> >
> > [root@acts-02 xen]# xenstore-ls /local/domain/0 | grep rate
> >     rate = "500000,50000"
> >
> > I am not sure what those numbers mean.
>
> It means 500000 bytes may be sent every 50000 microseconds.
> This corresponds to 10MB/s.
>
> Actually I think I see the problem: our traffic limiting is
> only on the transmit side, not on the receive side. We don't
> do receive-side limiting at all (at least, not right now).

You mean, receive from the perspective of dom0 ? AFAIK, there's no point
in rate-limiting the data that is bound to a VM, as the data already
traversed the network using up the bandwidth, and it's just a matter of
processing it.

Do you know why tc is not working as expected ? I also tried to setup tc
rules for the vifs, but tc doesn't seem to recognize the interfaces.

What's the best way to setup traffic shaping on a Xen system ?

Pradeep