[Xen-devel] How can I determine a Xen server's overall CPU utilization?

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Carb, Brian A" <Brian.Carb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:23:02 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 13:22:11 -0800

Hello,

I would like to determine overall CPU utilization on a server that's running xen, and log this information to a file - such as sar can do when run in a non-xen environment. I understand that xenmon shows utilization for each domain, but how can I massage this data to get an overall host server utilization? I'm looking for a single value that describes how much of the host server is being used by all the domains including dom0.

If I run xenmon in interactive mode, it displays, for a single CPU, a number of rows where the CPU utilization adds up to 100%. If I add up the "Gotten" lines for all domains but Idle, I can get non-idle utilization for a single cpu... and if I press "c" I can cycle through each CPU. Is there a way to get this information saved into a single file? I understand that the -n option produces file output, but this is organized by domain, not cpu.

Or is there another tool that might provide the information I'm looking for?

Thanks

brian carb - unisys corporation - malvern, pa