[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 13/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: Consistently wrap paravirt ops callsites to make them patchable

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
I think the suggestion is much simpler.  If you convince gcc/binutils to
leave the .reloc section in vmlinux, and make that available to the
kernel itself, then you can scan all the kernel's relocs to find ones
which refer to paravirt_ops, and use those to determine which are
callsites that can be patched.

Yes, that is pretty nice.

The main upside is that all the callsites are just normal C calls;
there's no special syntax or strange macros, and we get the full benefit
of typechecking, etc.

But I can see a few downsides compared the current scheme:

   1. Identifying the callsites is a somewhat hackish process of looking
      at a reloc and doing a bit of dissassembly to see what is using
      the reloc, to identify calls and jumps
   2. There's nothing explicit to tell us how much space there is to
      patch into; we just have to assume sizeof(indirect call/jmp)
   3. There's no information about the register environment at the
      callsite, so we just have to adopt normal C ABI rules.  For the
      patch sites in hand-written asm, this could be tricky.
   4. gcc could do strange things which prevent detection of patch
      sites.  For example, it might CSE the value of, say,
      paravirt_ops.irq_enable, which would be a reasonable optimisation,
      but prevent any of the resulting indirect calls from being
      patched.  In general it relies on gcc to generate identifiable
      callsites, which is a bit unpredictable.
   5. There's still a moderate amount of binutils hackery to get the
      relocs into the right form, and there's plenty of scope for it to
      screw up.

And yes, those are nasty points. I think I'd be interested in seeing more discussion on it, perhaps those issues could be worked out.

[ Roswell technology deleted ]

Nack.  Everyone needs Roswell technology.

Actually, that was not a serious proposal. I think the effort and complexity would likely not justify the gain. But I still had to throw it out, since it is what we use on Betelgeuse.