RE: [Xen-devel] RFC: [0/2] Remove netloop by lazy copying in netback

  The way I did it was slightly different.
  The shared pages used to store the packet headers are
  mapped at driver initialization at the same time the
  I/O ring is initialized (You can think of these pages
  as an extension to the I/O ring and mapped and unmapped at
  the same time). This shared header area
  is divided into fixed size slots large enough to store all
  packet headers (MAC/IP/TCP). Netfront copies the
  header of the packet to a free slot on the shared header
  buffer area and passes the offset of the header on the
  first I/O ring request for the packet (instead of
  passing a grant reference). Payload data are transferred
  as additional requests on I/O ring using grant
  references as usual. Netback assumes the first request
  of all packets point to headers in the shared area and
  copies the header into the main socket buffer data area.
  Payload data (in additional I/O ring requests) are associated
  with skb fragments but not mapped into dom0 memory
  unless a page fault happens
  (indicating that dom0 is trying to access that data).
  If the packet is sent out on the wire, the payload is never
  touched by the CPU (assuming no netfilter rules, etc...)
  and no memory mapping is necessary.

  I have put this code on the shelf for a while as I have been
  busy on analyzing/optimizing the receive path.
  I plan to port my patch to the current xen-unstable
  and get some performance data for the Xen summit after
  I finish my experiments on the receive side.
  I think we should include this on future releases, but
  I would like to hold on until I have some other results
  that may influence how we do this.
  This would be a good topic for discussion on the summit

  Regards

  Renato