Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch] [libxc] add missing free in xc_finish_mmu_updates to avoid memory leak

  • To: Stephan Creutz <stephan.creutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:34:07 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:33:14 -0700

On 11/4/07 15:55, "Stephan Creutz" <stephan.creutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I'm not sure whether this will work. It's not possible to modify
>> another domain's page tables if Xen is currently type-tracking the
>> page tables as such. You'd have to modify Xen to be able to do that.
>
> Ok, thought a little bit about that. If I modify Xen in way that foreign
> pagetable updates from Dom0 are possible, would this change will ever
> have a chance to be accepted for Xen or is it against the general design
> principles of Xen? Or in other words: is it not implemented because no
> one needs that feature for now or because it is not wanted for any
> reason? All I try to prevent are external patches, which I have to adapt
> every time the Xen internals are changing.

We'd prefer not to have to think about the implications for page type
tracking that this might cause. If your rollback support is suitable for
inclusion then we'd probably consider necessary Xen changes at the same
time.

You could work around by stripping all pagetable-type pinning, then make
updates to all memory pages, then reapply pagetable-type pinning. This would
mean that your memory rollback code would not need to take special account
of pagetables.

 -- Keir