RE: [Xen-devel] Xen Networking query

  • To: "Pradeep Singh, TLS-Chennai" <pradeep_s@xxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:10:20 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 03:09:49 -0700

Correct, Dom0 has all the networking protocols, Xen's Hypervisor doesn't
even know what a network card is, nor has any idea of what happens on
the network in general [of course, the Hypervisor receives the interrupt
from the hardware, but the interrupt is just forwarded to the guest
owning the hardware, and xen doesn't actually know (or care) what the
reason/purpose of the interrupt is].

> This mean, the very first time a conncetion is made the
> packet is recieved by the NIC which is handled by the driver
> and the TCP/IP stack in the dom0. Am i right?

This is a good question. From what I understand, and this page
http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Bridge agrees, the networking to
forward packets from Dom0 to DomU is done at "ethernet level", e.g. the
TCP/IP stack (or any other protocol stack above Ethernet) is not used in
Dom0 to determine the destination or purpose of the DomU packet.

> Subsequent data transfer to this connection(to the domU)
> doesnot goes through dom0 TCP/IP stack but goes through the
> domU's tcp/ip stack. Is my understanding of the Xen
> networking correct?

All packets received by DomU goes through the DomU TCP/IP stack,
regardless of whether it was necessary for Dom0 to parse them too, or
not. [But if the above is correct, Dom0 doesn't even look at the packet
aside from the Ethernet address].

--
Mats