Re: [Xen-devel] Instant Xen guest (guest-magic tool)

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 09:51:42AM -0500, Gaurav Maheshbhai Patel wrote:

> The comment on /tmp/guestmagic was really good.
> I was wondering what if we use /tmp/$$
>
> >     commands.getoutput('xm list > /tmp/$$')
>
> Is it create the same problem as /tmp/guestmagic?

  Pretty much.  Process IDs are still *predictable* since they
 tend to be sequential under most systems.

  Still this is better than a static name.  You should really
 use a pipe.  If you can't then use a secure filename which
 can't be guessed by a local user.

  This is pretty off-topic for the xen list though, so I'll
 just suggest you look at the Secure Programming Howto:

    http://www.dwheeler.com/secure-programs/Secure-Programs-HOWTO/index.html

 Specifically the section on temporary files being used in
 races.

Steve