Re: [Xen-devel] DomU Kernel Mapping

As Mats says, the code is in tools/libxc. When you load an ELF binary (such as a Linux kernel), the function xc_dom_elfloader.c::xc_dom_load_elf_kernel() performs the mapping and loading of the kernel.

The following chain of function calls maps the memory into dom0 for loading the kernel:

xc_dom.h::xc_dom_seg_to_ptr() calls
xc_dom_core.c::xc_dom_pfn_to_ptr() calls
xc_dom_boot.c::xc_dom_boot_domU_map() calls
xc_{linux,solaris}.c::xc_map_foreign_ranges() which (for the Linux case) performs an ioctl on the privcmd device, and maps the memory into dom0 user-space using the mmu_update hypercall.

A call to libelf-loader.c::elf_load_binary() copies the kernel into domU.

I should add that I'm currently working on moving this code to a small, trusted domain. The goal would be to remove dom0's ability to map arbitrary memory from other guests.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Derek Murray.