[Xen-devel] XenSocket

At the recent Xen Summit held in April 2007, we introduced XenSocket - a reliable, very high
throughput, interdomain transport mechanism.

Our XenSocket solution is comprised of a sockets-based interface to a shared-memory-based
transport, with the goal being to significantly improve throughput over that obtained when using
TCP/IP for same system interdomain communication.

We have had several requests for more detailed information about XenSocket, and also for
access to the source code.

We have documented the XenSocket design and performance results in an IBM technical report,
RC24247, which can be downloaded from:
http://domino.research.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/1e4115aea78b6e7c85256b360066f0d4/0f652cbf9ea1b2ee852572ce0060baba?OpenDocument

We are planning to make the source code available once we have ported to Xen 3.0.5, and
completed a few features that have been requested. We also saw the note about XWay today,
and Ian's response. We agree with Ian that having an interdomain byte stream protocol available
in Xen would be of great benefit to the community and hope our work on XenSocket and the work
by the XWay team could make that happen.

We welcome your feedback and questions.
The contact for the XenSocket work is  Suzanne McIntosh (skranjac@xxxxxxxxxx).

Suzanne K. McIntosh
Secure Systems and Services, Internet Security Group
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Phone: 914-784-7357 (t/l 863)
Email: skranjac@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.research.ibm.com