Re: [Xen-devel] vesafb

On 8/5/07 08:50, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> GRUB only parses 'vga=' for Linux images. It doesn't do so for multiboot
>> images. And, even if it did, what does that have to do with non-Linux dom0
>> OSes?
>
> Exactly, and Ian intends to do the same thing (i.e. parse the Linux-dom0
> command line). This is what I consider counter-intuitive - Xen should only
> care about its own command line (unless absolutely needed to make
> assumptions about dom0's), and GrUB really shouldn't look at Linux'
> command line either.

Oh, I see, I didn't spot that. Yes, we may as well shift the vga= option
onto Xen's command line. It's what we did with every other option we took
from Linux, so it would also be consistent (apic=, etc.).

I think the reason for grabbing it off dom0's command line is the mindset
that this is merely a 'skanky hack' where we actually only change the mode
immediately before entering dom0 because:
 1. Doing it from dom0 would require interface changes we don't have yet
 2. Doing it earlier in Xen would require us to support text on graphical
lfb, which is a bit of a pain.

So this would be enough of a lashup to support higher-res text console for
dom0, and to support bootsplash (which loads of people want).

 -- Keir