Re: [Xen-devel] trap/interrupt gate for hypercall

On 16/5/07 04:17, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I saw one necessity by always using interrupt gate type, that
> restore_all_xen can be simplified without segment registers restore.
> Or else at least ds/es need be restored for restore_all_xen if interrupt
> happens at entrance of hypercall (if by trap gate type). But I'm weak
> knowledge about the reason you list. What's the ability that hypercall
> handler can do while interrupt handler can't when reload of a
> problematic segment register? Anyway interrupt can also raise from
> guest context and interrupt handle also needs to tackle fault of
> reloading. Could you kindly give an example? :-)

Enter Xen on hypercall, immediately take an interrupt, on return from
interrupt %es faults on reload. How do we propagate this bad segment
register value to the guest via the failsafe callback handler from this
context? The bad %es is not yet saved on the outer context's stack frame.

 -- Keir