Re: [Xen-devel] [PV] PCI passthrough and interrupt sharing

Hello Chris,

thanks for your interest in this issue.

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 14:42 -0400, Chris wrote:
> Thomas Friebel wrote:
> > When the guest NIC's IRQ is not shared with another device, everything
> > works fine. When both NICs share the same IRQ, sooner or later host and
> > guest networking both hang.
>
> It's not an issue that I've previously encountered, but I'd like to try
> to reproduce and fix it.  Can you describe the steps you took to get the
> system into a state where host and guest networking will eventually hang.

All I do is stress the network a bit by doing a

  ssh <physical-guest-NIC> cat /dev/zero > /dev/null

on a second box. It usually takes 2-5 seconds until is stops working. It
never took more than 30 seconds.

IMO I did't do anything special in this setup. I can send you the kernel
configs and a more detailed description of the setup if you like.

Kind regards

--
Thomas Friebel
Operating System Research Center